Wednesday 5 January 2011

New year, no change...

It's been a while since my last post, and I haven't been reading other blogs as avidly as I usually do. This is because despite the fact that the year has changed and many people are planning new fitness beginnings and setting new sporting challenges, my foot has not got the memo. The pain in my heel does not seem to be getting any better.

In fact, I haven't done any exercise at all for over 2 weeks, but I am still getting just as much discomfort in my heel as before. I had hoped that a complete layoff of all activity would help, but no. It seems to me that this Plantar Fasciitis is not going to go away with rest alone. I've got a physio appointment for next week, but I think I'll ask to be referred to a podiatrist. So far, Ms Physio eased all the pain I got around the foot after hobbling through the Great North Run, but she hasn't really successfully got rid of the heel pain.

The last time I saw her, she gave me permission to try a run, but given that a few days later I could still feel the pain in my heel (and now I think I am getting it in the other foot as well), I decided that was probably not the best idea.

So I've had a very nice Christmas break, with my usual overindulgence but this time without any mitigating exercise. I weighed myself this morning, and I've put on about 6-7 pounds - not bad considering how greedy I am. Pete and I are still bravely wading through chocolate biscuits and Christmas cake, but next week, it'll be back to school and back to routine.

I need to get back on the bike (which I haven't done since before the snow), and set myself some new goals which don't involve running. I really miss it though, and sometimes I find it difficult to read other runners' blogs because it reminds me what I'm missing! So if I have been a bit quiet over the last few weeks, that's why.

I really hope to get back to blogging about running soon. Meanwhile I'll try to lose half a stone, and get some of my fitness back. Wish me luck with the physio next week...

















Christmas Joy!

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what you'r going through. Wishing you all the luck in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been missing your posts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your Christmas was nice. Sorry about the heel!

    ReplyDelete